Help Save a Life From Suicide
- This event has passed.
Over 50% of York County suicides this year were people age 50 and older.
Join us for a suicide prevention training to learn about the warning signs and how to question, persuade, and refer someone to help. Light refreshments served.
Thursday, September 28, 2023
10 AM – 12 PM
$5.00 (for training book)
Location: 14 W. Market Street, York, PA 17401
QPR stands for Question, Persuade, and Refer — the 3 simple steps anyone can learn to help save a life from suicide.
Just as people trained in CPR and the Heimlich Maneuver help save thousands of lives each year, people trained in QPR are saying “Yes” to saving the life of a friend, colleague, family member, or neighbor.
Cindy Richard, Director of Suicide Prevention of York, is a certified trainer in QPR and will be conducting the training.
Individuals contemplating suicide often don’t believe that they can be helped, so it’s important to be active and persistent in helping someone get the resources they need.
Possible signs include:
- Threatening to hurt themselves
- Seeking access to pills, weapons, or other lethal means
- Talking or writing about death
- Feeling hopeless
- Out of control anger or revenge seeking
- Acting recklessly with or without thinking
- Feeling trapped
- Withdrawing or isolating form friends or family
- Feelings of anxiousness or agitation
- Severe mood swings
- Alcohol abuse or drug abuse