Did you know that The Central Pennsylvania Transportation Authority does business as rabbittransit and directly serves a 10-county geographical region (about the size of Connecticut)? rabbittransit also manages the Capital Area Transit system known locally as CAT, which provides service in Cumberland and Dauphin counties and the City of Harrisburg.
rabbittransit is recognized across the country for its forward-thinking services, operations, and expertise. And York County benefits from the lessons learned across the communities rabbittransit serves.
Exploring Your Options
As with any service, public transit comes with its challenges, like encountering traffic, construction, or unanticipated interruptions that may result in delays. At the end of the day, public transit is a safe, clean, and affordable option to help you get from place to place. There are two primary types of services available to you:
Fixed route customers can travel whenever they wish during hours of operation with no advance notice.
If you have never taken the bus, navigating the routes and system can be a bit daunting. Because of this, rabbittransit offers a free, hands-on travel training program to anyone. This program helps you:
- Plan trips to various destinations
- Read and understand route maps and schedules
- Get to and from your bus stop
- Learn how to pay fares and purchase tickets and passes
- Learn how to get on and off the bus safely
- Learn to use the lift and/or kneeler to board buses with a mobility device
- Locate and transfer to other buses at Transfer Center
- Travel safely, independently, and confidently while riding the bus
To learn more, call rabbittransit at 1-800-632-9063. They will ask how you wish to utilize the bus and tailor the training to your specific needs.
The rabbittransit website offers a variety of resources, such as Riders Guides and Code of Conduct guidelines, an app for your phone to receive schedule alerts, information on buying passes, FAQs, and so much more.
Paratransit /Shared Ride
Shared Ride, often referred to as “Paratransit,” is a bus service that provides consolidated trips between destinations not well served by scheduled fixed routes. Shared Ride operates during limited hours and within specific travel areas. There is a required application and reservation process. Paratransit transportation is available for seniors, persons with disabilities, persons with mental health/intellectual and developmental disabilities, and those willing to pay full fare who do not qualify for other funding sources.
There is a service fee that varies based on the subsidies an individual has available to them. It’s also important to note that riders are not picked up and dropped off in the same order. The order is based on where riders are picked up and where they are going.
Although this service is a door-to-door service, the driver is not allowed to enter any home or facility. They must always keep their bus and passengers in their view. rabbittransit offers a “Know Before You Go” section on their website to help answer questions about this service. Learn more.
Build your community: Utilizing public transportation is a great way to meet new people in your neighborhood. Don’t hesitate to strike up a conversation, ask for help, or help someone else.
More About rabbittransit
rabbittransit goes beyond the road to make public transit better for people of all ages. Here are just a few of the ways they do it:
- Solicits Input. rabbittransit believes in learning from its users, especially older adults and people with disabilities. It holds regular meetings with these riders and representatives from organizations serving these groups. The focus of these meetings is on reducing barriers to mobility.
- GIANT Grocery Store Shuttles. In partnership with GIANT Company, rabbittransit offers free shuttles to both the east and west York Giant stores. Get a listing of the shuttles’ pickup addresses and times here.
- Accessibility. All buses and vans are wheelchair accessible. If you need a caregiver to escort you on your trip, the caregiver does not need to pay the bus fee.
- Safe and welcoming. Vehicles are air conditioned and cleaned routinely.
- rabbitCARES. This is a charitable organization of rabbittransit. This nonprofit advances affordable and convenient mobility solutions that allow all Central Pennsylvania’s residents to connect to their most basic needs. Its primary focus is Veterans Transportation, Access to Food, and Medical Transportation.
TroveStreet encourages you to give York County’s public transit a try. We especially encourage you to do this before a time of crisis, to avoid added pressure. As York Countians, we are fortunate to have a public transit provider that is as engaged in the community and leaders in the industry as rabbittransit.
Trove Street is Here to Help
Take advantage of our free TroveStreet Planning Tool, which you can access directly in your dashboard or download as a PDF. Want someone to walk you through it? Sign up for our Aging Navigation & Plan Creation package and a TroveStreet navigator will be by your side through the process.